Sunday, May 1, 2011

HOW TO: Make an android. AND EAT IT.

 

2011-05-01 14.04.38

Haha Just kidding, I made some android-shaped gingerbread today =) delicious! READ ON for the recipe.

Yea, I know… I haven’t posted in a while (In fact I missed the 4 post/month for last month! *GASP*). Thing is, I have a lot of posts already written up, I just need to do the drawings… *sigh* still takes a lot of time despite having templates. I also have a habit of wanting to draw too much =( That said, there SHOULD be more posts this month. Well I hope so anyway.

Anyway, to lighten up my spirit, I decided to make some gingerbread androids (read that backwards and you get the latest mobile version of Android! (2.3)). The process went pretty smoothly and the result was definitely worth the work =)

I followed the recipe from this website. but If your too lazy to open a link, the ingredients and method is below. Still, if you have time and are curious, visit the website they have lots of recipes for other stuff!

Ingredients:

(From the website)

  • 2 cups (250g) plain flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
  • 125g butter
  • 1/2 cup (125g) sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1 egg
  • I used self-raising flour instead of plain flour + bicarb soda

If you’ve made/baked stuff in the past, you should be able to freely modify this slightly to fit your needs. I just halved the ingredients cause it seemed too much for me =) Except the egg, I used a whole egg.

Method (Sounds like a report now XD)

(I’ve added some things to the original method)

1. Cream butter and sugar then beat in egg. (If you don’t know what cream is, its basically beating the butter after its slightly softened with the sugar. It’s NOT melted butter, completely different!!)

2. Sift in flour, bicarb soda and ginger. I couldn’t really sift the ground ginger, I just put it in directly after grinding it as finely as possible. Again, if you used self-raising flour like me, you skip the bicarb soda.

3. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface adding more flour if necessary. I stuffed up a bit here, I thought it was a good idea to do this on our wooden chopping board. Then the board got wet/damp from the mixture and it STUCK pretty well to the thing (think of it as the glue paste in primary school…). So I had to take it off and use our stone bench. Which worked much better.

4. Roll out dough thinly then use any shape cutter and cut away. =) at this point, you can make any shape you want. I made androids. You can make whatever you please.

5. Add any decorations then bake for approximately 15 minutes in a 180 degrees C. I can only get 15 stars onto my tray at a time so I usually find I do about 3-4 batches. I got lazy after 3 droid, so i made a HUGE COOKIE. It was still nice =)

Result:

First things first, I’ve never really had gingerbread before. By the name of it, I thought it should be… soft like bread. but then, Gingy from Shrek seemed pretty hard, so I didn’t know what I should be expecting.

When it was in the oven, it was VERY aromatic. It had the nice buttery/egg smell of a cake and a nice tangy, fresh tinge from the ginger. All in all, it didn’t smell like something that would make you feel bloated and fat afterwards (I’m looking at you mud cake…)

15min was about the right time for me, But i guess if you rolled out really thin shapes, then it would be quicker. Results:

2011-05-01 14.04.38

2011-05-01 14.04.57

2011-05-01 14.05.11

This droid decided to break his leg after landing on the plate =( he was disabled till death.

I was very happy they turned out looking like droids and they tasted pretty nice too! But since they were so cute, I didn’t want to eat them…

onebite1bite2

delicious!eat

monsterYea, it was a hard thing to do =( *whispers: they were so delicious…* perhaps its a good idea to NOT make cute looking cookies then…

Anyways, Hope you guys have fun making gingerbread things. Then devouring its small helpless body with your jaws of doom. Swallowing its torn and mutated bodies into your large acidic stomach; it will be burnt alive by your stomach juices… “NOOOOO” it screams… Yea. just like that =)

In the meantime, drop a comment =)

_IGP5919

“Can’t catch us! We’re gingerbread men!”

2 comments:

CarmenNguyen said...

LOL!! You compared this to Gingy!! Classic example there. I shall try this on my own first then.. I shall make a camera shaped gingerbread!! (Aaron said lobster :S)

Mylifeasacomic said...

YUMMMMM...

Post a Comment