Thursday, June 23, 2011

DSLR vs P&S vs Camera phone…

 

_IGP5950

I know, I know, the results are already obvious. Lets do this for comparisons sake!

So on facebook, we brought up the topic of DSLRs… I have an old DSLR (and I’d assume many others have “older” equipment too. Even Carmen’s cam is like what 2 years old?). It has a measly 6MP, just 1MP more than my phone and is only about HALF of my point and shoot (P&S):11MP.

Does this automatically make the order: P&S>DSLR>Phone? NO. DSLR’s have nicer lens, sensors etc etc. P&S and phones are just crappy in comparison. Its also the reason why its used by professionals. More Megapixels =/= better quality

Cut the crap, comparisons!! For comparison, I’ve thrown in:

  • Pentax K-100D DSLR (with macro lens: 28-80mm. It’s my fav lens!)
  • Ricoh GX 100
  • Nexus one (HTC)

Outdoor

I would say this is the best scenario for all cameras, there’s ample light, most things stay pretty still and there is little to no noise. All settings here are auto, except for focus. I manually focused on the Pentax and Ricoh. The nexus one was focused using “touch focus”

Pentax:

_IGP5939_IGP5943

Despite my amateur skills, these turned out pretty well. Nothing spectacular with the mandarins. The pictures of the leaves clearly shows the DSLR prowess, it is difficult for other cameras to produce such a blur in the background (And hence nice bokehs on them are out of the question!!) The front can be really sharp, while the back is nicely fuzzed, the contrast is really good too!

Do note the lens used has a tendency to zoom in stuff naturally. I’d need to step back and zoom out using these lens for normal stuff. Prime lens will have different results!  

Ricoh:

R0013489R0013494

A quick glance and you’ll notice that the colours are already different. The mandarin pic seems similar, but when the leaves are compared, the Ricoh has more washed out colours. With some editing it might look similar.

Another thing to note is the amount of detail the lens can take in. I’m not saying how many pixels, I’m saying the angle of the lens. The Ricoh has a wider lens and takes in a lot more in the same shot. I had to zoom in and move around to get a similar shot. The background can be blurred too, if you adjust the aperture, it will change the “fuzziness”, but the it seems to have a slight difference to the pentax. 

Nexus one:

IMAG0093IMAG0091

Yea, laugh at my phone… It takes the worst pics (not surprisingly!) But if it took better pics than any of the above, I’d be impressed!

Comparing them in general, the colours are even MORE washed out than the Ricoh. In the thumbnail of the leaves, I though i took it in black and white… That’s how washed out it is. I decided to not adjust anything on the phone. I could have easily upped the contrast, sharpness or saturation, but that would be unfair.

I forgot the leaves were taken landscape… and took it in portrait. Opps. But its not like it would have changed much! Realistically speaking, the colours in the Pentax is closest to what you see in real life.

Indoor

It was daytime when I did this, but I would have like it to be a little darker. Or maybe a comparison with night time shots. Same settings as outdoors were used.

Pentax:

_IGP5946

=) this was a little thing bought from Japan. I didn’t give it much attention after I bought it… (Attempted to touch it minimally, that would logically damage it less!) Anyway… I can’t comment much on this, it just looks fine. Compared to the others, the woodgrain seem much more detailed.

Ricoh:

R0013495

Again the pic is comparably washed out, the wood is paler than the Pentax. In general, the Pentax seems to saturate the colours more, but even though it does that, the colours are still realistic.

Nexus one:

IMAG0095

Again, the Nexus one has more washed out colours than the others. >.> sigh…

LIGHT PAINTING

This is one of the many things you can do with better cameras. Light painting can be achieved by using a long shutter speed. Over the time which the shutter is used, all light will be captured and you’ll be able to see where the light has been. In this example, I used an exposure time of 1second… Since my Nexus doesn’t have this setting, I couldn’t really control it. I believe IOS has an app called “magic shutter” which allows you adjust shutter speed… None for android I believe.

Nexus image used for painting is from the Galaxy S =D

Pentax

_IGP5950

Pretty! As far as I can see on the original, there don’t seem to be any noise in the black areas. Graininess seems to happen a lot in the black areas for low light photos

Ricoh

R0013497

This one looks a little grainy in comparison. I like the shape an picture more… Such a pity about the graininess!

Nexus one

IMAG0101

This is the best I could do with my phone, I didn’t edit this at all! This isn’t really light painting… more like “I can’t hold the camera still at night”. Its even more grainy than the, Ricoh and obviously the Pentax. It seems to be most evident around the edges of colour.

Conclusion

Yea yea, from the order I put it, you can see the differences in quality. I didn’t do pics with flash like Carmen… I never use flash in my pics =P

So if you didn’t catch on, DSLRs>P&S>Camera phones. Having said that, P&S and phones are improving in camera quality. There are even compact cameras with interchangeable lens… and there are camera phones that have much better sensors (I know some Sharp phones use CCD sensors!)

What do you think?

P.S. Yea, I haven’t had time to do much drawing (I’m procrastinating!) but I’ll soon get round to blogging… Uni is a tiring thing to do XD!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your blog! Don't stop writing!

Mylifeasacomic said...

:D Thanks!!

Post a Comment